The biggest misconception about Freemasonry is that you need to be invited. Hence the slogan “2B1ASK1” or To Be One, Ask One”. Meaning, if you would like to learn more about Freemasonry or how to become one, ask a Freemason. Don’t know any? Well, Click the “INTERESTED?” link above to contact us or just come down to the lodge. We meet on the 1st and 3rd Tuesday of the Month @ 6:30pm.
St. Columba Lodge No. 150 received its dispensation from Grand Master John Coates and was chartered on November 16, 1869. Its first officers were William E. Smith as Worshipful Master and Edgard Griswold and John S. Button as Senior and Junior Wardens, respectively.
The minutes book of the Leonardtown Lodge for the year 1759 contains a notation stating that a Brother Fisher was requested to write to Mr. James Mills, asking for the jewels belonging to the Port Tobacco Lodge. From this it can be deduced that another lodge existed in Port Tobacco prior to 1759. However, as early as 1792, Columba Lodge No. 11 was organized at Port Tobacco. Its first Master was Alexander Grier; Robert Ferguson and Judson M. Clagett were the Senior and Junior Wardens. Many of the organizing members had come from Georgetown Lodge No. 9.
Columba Lodge No. 11 produced three Grand Masters during the eighteenth century. Gustavus Brown, who was the fifth Grand Master in Maryland, was also a personal physician to George Washington. There was also Grand Master William Craik, and last, Grand Master William Thomas, who was also president of the Maryland Senate until he died in 1813. His son, James Thomas, was a Governor of Maryland.
Another noteworthy member of Columba Lodge No. 11 was judge Michael Jenifer Stone, who was the brother of the Honorable Thomas Stone, a signer of the Declaration of Independence.
Columba Lodge No. 11 lay dormant after 1828 until its revival as St. Columba Lodge No. 150 after the War Between the States. A warrant for Columba Lodge No. 11 and its jewels, along with a copy of the Grand Lodge Proceedings of 1797, was presented to the Grand Lodge by James W. Brown, ending officially the existence of Columba Lodge No. 11 and establishing the authenticity of St. Columba Lodge No. 150.
The Lodge takes its name from an Irish monk who lived in the sixth century and who founded many monasteries in Scotland.